[Milton-L] another little note

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 14:06:53 EST 2008

John, thanks for the extra information. It's interesting that the Rheims translation doesn't annotate Mt. 5:48. I would have thought that they'd use that verse as argument against the Protestants.

  Which post by Paul Miller are you referring to?

  Jeffery Hodges

"John T. Shawcross" <jtshaw74 at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Dear Jeffery,

A couple of little citations. First, that same Bible (American Bible
Society) notes for Leviticus xi:44-45--Lev. 19:2 and 1 Peter 1:16,
and of course 1 Peter 1:16 notes Lev. xi.44-45 and xix:2. I also
meant to mention that the Rheims (Douay) translation of 1582 (the New
Testament) does NOT have an annotation for Matthew v:48 although it
annotates extensively, suggesting that it was not a question for
Catholics at that time. Its translation is the same: "Be you perfect
therfore, as also your heauen-ly father is perfect." For 1 Peter 1:16
the Douay cites Leu. 11.19, 20.7 Deu. 10. Ro. 2 Gal. 2.

Doesn't Paul Miller's post answer the question of "meaning" of
"perfect" here?

John

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley