[Milton-L] A Miltonic Sonnet

Kemmer Anderson kanderso at mccallie.org
Tue Feb 5 10:21:42 EST 2008

Yesterday I taught the sonnet - Cromwell, Avenge, O Lord, and Sonnet
19 then I tossed in my modern version. In all fairness I was teaching
how to write a political sonnet.
With some trouble I borrowed a couple of rhymes from Richard Wilbur's
Miltonic sonnet for Lyndon Johnson. Of course I have the Jefferson
theme always in my head.

A Miltonic Sonnet for Barack Obama

Words wing from the oracle at Delphi
Around the dome drawn by Jefferson's hand
Through the Declaration that formed this land
To make conscience free  from forces that lie,
Deceiving us with a blind tyrant's eye
To put out all those dreams the Founders planned
Until a voice breaks through the hourglass sand
With the resonant sound of Freedom's cry.

Let us write together the next chapter
In this odyssey toward Liberty
For the people's American drama
With epic characters staged to capture
The hallowed White House and set time free
With words of hope from Barack Obama.

Kemmer Anderson                     2008