[Milton-L] jeffery's last post

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 19:58:32 EST 2008

Dear John,

  Thanks for the information. I had checked a couple of my own Bibles first, and a few more after your response posted, but my various Bibles don't give any references at all.

  Perhaps I should raise this question on the Synoptic Gospels List to which I belong, though that list is rather inactive.

  From what you've cited, Deuteronomy 18:13 would seem to be an important source. Based on the 'formula' in Matthew 5:48, however, I still wonder about whether or not Leviticus 11:44-45 had an influence.

  And that reminds me. I had a typo in my previous post, where I referred to Genesis 17:1 but meant to refer to Leviticus 11:44-45. I've now corrected my remarks:

    Nevertheless, I am still struck by Leviticus 11:44 and 45 ("Be holy for I am holy"), which reminds me in structure of Matthew 5:48 ("Be ye perfect, therefore, as your heavenly father is perfect"), so I now wonder if it is possible that both Leviticus 11:44-45 and Deuteronomy 18:13 are being alluded to.

  Enough for now.

  Jeffery Hodges

"John T. Shawcross" <jtshaw74 at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Dear Jeffery,

Many Bibles, using the AV (King James) and revisions, have internal
references of the type you are looking at. I have a copy of the
American Bible Society, for example, that for Matthew v:48 has a
footnote (n) to Deut. 18:13. In otherwise that is and has been a
reported "source" for the "perfect" text. And Deut. 18:13 has a
footnote (i) to Mt. 5:48. There are no such notes for the Genesis or
Leviticus verses.

You might be interested in the Geneva Bible note for Mattew v:48: "We
must labour to atteine vnto ye perfection of God, who of his free
liberalitie, doeth good to them that are vnworthie."

John

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley