[Milton-L] ee/e

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 4 13:37:58 EST 2008

Thanks, John. And not to mislead anyone: as your venerable namesake has
graciously told me in private, "the spellings of "me/mee," "be/bee," etc.
(the "stressed" concept) began with Jonathan Richardson and has been
repeated in the
twentieth century--all without real examination." (I hope he won't mind the
unauthorized citation.) Not being an expert in orthography by any means, I
hadn't known that--which is, I think, a further argument for reading the
text in (or as close as possible) to the original. "Translation" of any kind
tends to distort--willfully or otherwise. (I remember being excited as a
graduate student by Patterson's very subjective translation of the letter in
which Milton confides his intentions for the future, which was deliberately
made to sound as if it were a percursor of lines in _Samson Agonistes_. Not
being able to translate the letter myself, I was of course misled--until
someone with better knowledge corrected me.) I can see providing an
interlinear translation (as at least one edition of Chaucer does, using
facing-page text) but I can't endorse provided students with no real concept
of the look and feel of the original document--so that if they choose to do
so, they can investigate such matters for themselves.

Best to all,

Carol Barton