[Milton-L] text questions

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 22:58:40 EST 2008

Thanks to Professor Skulsky for the correction (shalom --> shalem) and additional information (Gen. 17:1 - tamim). My Hebrew is not very good, unfortunately.

  Is either tamim or shalem ever used to describe God?

  The structure of Mt. 5:48 reminds me of Lev. 11:44 and 45: "be holy for I am holy." Is it possible that both Gen. 17:1 and Lev. 11:44-45 are being alluded to?

  Apologies for getting rather far from Milton.

  Jeffery Hodges

Harold Skulsky <hskulsky at email.smith.edu> wrote:

"I cannot, however, recall a Tanakh passage calling upon Israelites to be 'shalom' as God is."

Matt. 5:48 is an allusion to Gen. 17:1 (God's injunction to Abraham): "I am the Lord thy God; walk before me, and be thou perfect." The Hebrew answering to "perfect" is *tamim* (Aramaic *t'mim*). The Heb. adjective *shalem* (Aramaic *sh'lim* ) is a rough equivalent. (*Shalom* is not an adjective and rarely if ever means moral perfection in BH, though it sometimes means health, or bodily soundness.)

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

Email Address: