[Milton-L] text questions

Harold Skulsky hskulsky at email.smith.edu
Sun Feb 3 22:26:35 EST 2008

"I cannot, however, recall a Tanakh passage calling upon Israelites to be 'shalom' as God is."

Matt. 5:48 is an allusion to Gen. 17:1 (God's injunction to Abraham): "I am the Lord thy God; walk before me, and be thou perfect." The Hebrew answering to "perfect" is *tamim* (Aramaic *t'mim*). The Heb. adjective *shalem* (Aramaic *sh'lim* ) is a rough equivalent. (*Shalom* is not an adjective and rarely if ever means moral perfection in BH, though it sometimes means health, or bodily soundness.)