[Milton-L] text questions

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 18:22:15 EST 2008

Incidentally, the Greek word in Mt. 5:48 is teleioi, which can be translated as either "complete" or "perfect" in contemporary English and thus has the same ambiguity that the word "perfect" still had for the KJV translators.

  A possible word in Hebrew would be shalom, which can mean "completeness, soundness, welfare, peace."

  Jesus, of course, would likely have been speaking Aramaic, so the question as to what word he actually used would be close to Hebrew. I cannot, however, recall a Tanakh passage calling upon Israelites to be "shalom" as God is. I do recall that Israelites are called to be holy, even as God is holy, and I wonder if the idea of holiness stands behind Mt. 5:48.

  The word for "holy" is kadosh, which has the sense of being set apart. That might fit the context of Matthew, for Jesus is there calling upon those who follow him to strive to meet ethical standards higher than the ethics practiced by Gentiles -- in effect, to set themselves apart.

  But I've taken us rather far from the contemporary reader's difficulty in reading Paradise Lost...

  Jeffery Hodges

Carol Barton <cbartonphd1 at verizon.net> wrote:
          True, but that wasn't the point: "Hebrew" for "Greek" could have been a slip--but she confirmed when I spoke to her privately that she hadn't known that "perfect" could mean "complete"--