[Milton-L] Cosmic and Sublime

Peter C. Herman herman2 at mail.sdsu.edu
Sat Feb 2 22:22:54 EST 2008

A small correction: The Modern Library editors
and others, such as David Kastan, are not
providing "modernized translations" of Milton,
but a modernization of Milton's spelling and
grammar. These editions are not to be mistaken
for, say, the contemporary versions of the
Canterbury Tales published by Penguin. Ms.
Stanger should be reassured that Milton's verse
and prose are not at all "translated" into
contemporary English, but brought into line with
contemporary conventions in exactly the same way
that we read "modernized" versions of Shakespeare
in the Riverside or "modernized" versions of
Chaucer in (also) the Riverside. There are good
arguments to be made for retaining Milton's
original spelling and grammar. For example, as
John Shawcross has informed me privately, Milton
was deeply involved with the printing of PL, and
so, the spelling and the grammar are his in a way
that the quartos are not Shakespeare's. But
modernizing Milton as the Modern Library editors
do is not at all diluting or "dumbing down" our
man. It's about making him more accessible.

Peter C. Herman

P.s.

Could Ms. Stanger explain a bit further what she
means by a "star test" and how they "create
curriculum"? many thanks in advance, pch