[Milton-L] Cosmic and Sublime

Heather Stanger hstange at clunet.edu
Sat Feb 2 19:33:13 EST 2008

I work for a tutoring center (while i labor over my degree) and we give
out star tests to create curriculum. What I found appalling is that when a
student scores a 50% it is considered grade level. Sadly we just received
an email from the board of education stating that the national standard
for star testing has just been lowered all over the country because
students are now scoring even lower than the average 50%. This information
compounded by the fact that they've now modernized Milton because people
think he's too hard to read just makes me feel even worse for the state of
our educational system. As always it seems like they (the powers that be
or whoever is to blame) are not attempting to fix a problem just cover it
up. I would think so much is lost in these modernized translations of
Milton and Shakespeare. When I reached college I felt let down by my high
school education and started to really see the lack in our system. I guess
my question is, can we do anything? Or, is my naiveté showing?