[Milton-L] the paintings

Susan Tyler Hitchcock susan at susantylerhitchcock.com
Fri Feb 1 13:38:34 EST 2008

What interests me about all these paintings is the desire to see the
daughters as young women. According to my calculations, Deborah was 6
in 1658, the date at which we know Paradise Lost was underway. She
was only 10 (the older sisters 14 and 16) when the threesome were
supposedly accused by their stepmother of stealing their father's
books to get pocket money. Only by publication date, 1668, would the
three girls have all looked as fulsome as these pictures show.

Do others agree?

sth

Susan Tyler Hitchcock
PO Box 90 • Covesville, VA 22931