[Milton-L] Re: Trying to Identify a Painting

HANNIBAL HAMLIN hamlin.22 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 1 13:02:29 EST 2008

But I'm not sure the lack of interest in the daughters is the same as a lack of interest in Milton (just old-fashioned misogyny!).  I note that in all three paintings, Milton is pretty easily identifiably -- stereotypical Puritan dress, long locks, blind.  Am I right too that in both Orlai and Delacroix there is an expulsion painting on the wall?  I'm convinced that the subject of these paintings is clearly "Milton Dictating to his Daughters," and the background paintings confirm that what's being composed is Paradise Lost.  Of course, it's no surprise that Milton was popular with the English Romantics (Blake, Shelley, Wordsworth, etc.), but are there any English images of this particular (imagined) scene?  And what (excuse my ignorance) is the history of Milton's reception on the continent?  Are the Hungarian painters actually interested in Milton (was there a translation?), or are they simply painting after Delacroix, who must be the earliest of the three?  But then, I don'
t think this is a particularly well-known Delacroix, so it must be something about the specific subject that appealed to Orlai and Mukascy, which again brings us back to Milton and Hungary.  Was it the figure of the artist (suffering, sublime) that appealed?  Did they like his revolutionary politics?  There seem an interesting bit of cultural history to be dug up here.

Hannibal

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Book Review Editor and Associate Editor, Reformation

Mailing Address (2007-2009):

The Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol Street SE
Washington, DC 20003