[Milton-L] Re: Trying to Identify a Painting

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 1 12:20:21 EST 2008

Apparently (per the URL from the International Milton Conference),

"Soma Orlai Petrics (1822-1880) was one of the great Hungarian history
painters. His 1862 'Milton dictating Paradise Lost to his daughters' is
displayed in Budapest at the Hungarian National Gallery. Orlay's painting
inspired Mihály Munkácsy in the creation of his famous 'Milton' (1878 - now
in New York)."

That should at least answer Peter's question (properly)--and suggests part
of the answer to your question, too, Hannibal. As I said, I don't think
Munkacsy's interest was particularly Miltonic, since his own comments about
the painting (which I have somewhere, but not to hand) indicate that he
didn't even know the girls' names. Perhaps the curator of the Hungarian
National Gallery could be of help, as to the basis for their choice of
Milton--and particularly Milton dictating to his daughters--as a subject?

Best to all,

Carol Barton