[Milton-L] Re: Trying to Identify a Painting

HANNIBAL HAMLIN hamlin.22 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 1 12:18:06 EST 2008

Pointing out in advance that I think you're all wonderful and I adore you all, does anyone know the genealogy of these images of Milton and his daughters?  I came across another online reference (somewhat cryptic) to five different paintings of Milton and his daughters, which suggests that there are at least a couple we haven't yet unearthed (or mentioned here).  Where does the tradition begin, what is its basis, and why was it so popular?

Hannibal

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Book Review Editor and Associate Editor, Reformation

Mailing Address (2007-2009):

The Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol Street SE
Washington, DC 20003

Permanent Address:

Department of English
The Ohio State University
421 Denney Hall, 164 W. 17th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210-1340

------=_NextPart_000_009D_01C864C9.E405F960

I said (nor implied) no such thing, John. I also use the Cromwell painting-=
-which is at least apocryphal, if not totally spurious--as well as Faithorn=
e's Milton and a number of other Milton-related paintings as "screensavers.=
" No one said I bought the premise--and in fact, as I warned Peter privatel=
y, the Munkacsy is a complete farce, based on the artist's own comments abo=
ut it. (He knew so little about Milton that he didn't even get the daughter=
s' names right.)

But I do thank you for the high regard evident in the post below just the s=
ame.

Carol Barton

  ----- Original Message -----=20