[Milton-L] Re: Trying to Identify a Painting

HANNIBAL HAMLIN hamlin.22 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 1 12:04:46 EST 2008

Glad to be of use.  (And perhaps also too easily distracted!)  Further googling, on the hunch that the "orlai" in your painting's web address might be significant, reveals that your painter is also (like Munkascy) a Hungarian.  I haven't found the image, but see http://hungart.euroweb.hu/english/o/orlai_pe/index.html.  Now why was there such an interest in Milton in nineteenth-century Hungary?

Hannibal

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Book Review Editor and Associate Editor, Reformation

Mailing Address (2007-2009):

The Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol Street SE
Washington, DC 20003