[Milton-L] Re: Trying to Identify a Painting

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 1 11:59:25 EST 2008

I said (nor implied) no such thing, John. I also use the Cromwell painting--which is at least apocryphal, if not totally spurious--as well as Faithorne's Milton and a number of other Milton-related paintings as "screensavers." No one said I bought the premise--and in fact, as I warned Peter privately, the Munkacsy is a complete farce, based on the artist's own comments about it. (He knew so little about Milton that he didn't even get the daughters' names right.)

But I do thank you for the high regard evident in the post below just the same.

Carol Barton