[Milton-L] Contract bridge column

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Tue Dec 30 21:06:19 EST 2008

Nancy,
Thanks for inviting us to contemplate on Milton's pregnant passage that you refer to in your post and for your exquisite interpretation of it.  I like it when Milton occasionally intrudes and bashes the devils and everything they do or say.  I have just finished a book by Marina Warner, an Oxford scholar, on metamorphoses, titled Fantastic Metamorphoses, Other Worlds:   Ways of Telling the Self.  In it she divides the process of metamorphoses into three types:  1), supernaturally caused, whether for punishment or creation (Pandora); 2), organic, natural (the develpment of the pupa into a butterfly); and 3), artificial ( through magical art, shape shifting).  The last kind is the work of the devil and is hellish, which reminded me of the passage you have quoted.  I think Milton is denouncing the works of Mammon as evil (the word "art" closely associated with alchemy and magic), and I believe, he  contrasts it with God's work which is creation, causing the inanimate to become animate,  the most glorious metamorphosis of all.  Devils can't do that.  Warner's book is a deep and erudite work.   I apologize for rendering her complex ideas so simplistically.
Happy New Year to all.
Salwa Khoddam