[Milton-L] Contract bridge column

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Dec 30 19:29:11 EST 2008

.
>   Just got around to the paper. To my delight, "Aces
>   on Bridge" today has as its headnote a passage from
>   PL that always makes me laugh:
>
>   …admiring more
>   The riches of Heav'n's pavement, trodd'n Gold,
>   Than aught divine or holy else enjoy'd
>   In vision beatific:    (I.681-683)

Yikes!  JM and bridge - what a concept! When I was an undergraduate in the early 60s at Duke, there were two preoccupations for students [besides the obvious ones of drink and sex]: bridge and [for women] knitting. Both were then and remain now mysteries to me.

>   Nancy Charlton
>   Snow all melted and floods threatening

Sorry to hear that - best wishes that creek don't rise.

Happy New Year!

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU, ret.
JMU Safe Zones supporter