[Milton-L] one post a day?

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Tue Dec 30 15:25:00 EST 2008

Just to clarify:

No one has said there *is* in fact a Milton-l "rule" that there is a "one
post a day" limit.  Dennis Danielson informed us (a few weeks ago) that some
other listservs do have such a guideline (not a "rule") and he suggested
that it might a good idea for us to have such a guideline too.  Some people
(myself included) agreed that this would be a good idea.

It has recently been suggested that those of us who have proposed such a
guideline are advocating "censorship."  Cristina Soliz used that word ("The
delete button is easy enough, so why censor anyone?") and a number of other
people have since taken it up. .  Jameela Lares invokes "the spirit of
Areopagitica."

To my mind, censorship is a red herring, irrelevant to this discussion.  No
one on this listserv has proposed censoring anyone's messages (which would
be impossible to do, even if one wanted to do it.)  A few of us have
expressed a sense of frustration and wearinesss at hearing from the same
voices incessantly, day after day, often on topics unrelated to Milton.
Using the very freedom that Cristina and Jameela rightly defend, we have
requested recurrent posters to limit their postings (and stay on topic)
*voluntarily.*  This might be called "peer pressure," but it is not
censorship.

One last thing: Jonny Angel has expressed a concern (or is it a boast?) that
this is all about him.  It isn't.  For reasons I don't quite understand,
Jonny does seem to get under some people's skin, but I for one find his
enthusiasm refreshing and I am sure I am not alone.  I just wish he was a
little less gushy ("I love and respect everyone on this list").  It is hard
to share love and respect with someone when they won't even tell you their
name.

John Leonard