[Milton-L] "Mirton"

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 14:13:47 EST 2008

Jameela, it's a common mistake among Koreans. The two English sounds are often confused by my students because the "l" and the "r" are the same letter in Korean. In the Korean language, depending upon the letters that precede or follow, or are absent -- or sometimes just arbitrarily, it seems to me -- the pronunciation of the Korean l/r can be either "l" or "r".

Anyway, the effect of this on my students' English pronunciation led to some misunderstandings initially, such as when a student said that the hardest thing about being a teacher was "collecting" papers.

Then, of course, there are those pesky sounds "p" and "f" -- likewise hard to distinguish and thus leading to embarrassing mistakes in reading aloud such Shakespearean lines as "parting is such sweet sorrow."

Jeffery Hodges