[Milton-L] one post a day?

Scott Howard showard at du.edu
Tue Dec 30 13:31:12 EST 2008

And I agree with Jameela and Cristine and anyone else in favor of open dialogue on this listserv--provided, of course, that the dialogue follow the letter and spirit of the community bylaws.

Perhaps this is a good time for the Milton-L protocol to be put on the table for open discussion?  Is there a guideline statement or listserv bylaw document that could be circulated? . . .

At the Milton-L site,

http://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~creamer/milton/about.html

there is a brief statement "About Milton-L" that includes this note:

"Milton-L is an Internet discussion group devoted to the life, literature and times of the poet John Milton. Currently there are more than 520 list members from around the world (including many Milton scholars). The amount of messages on the list (and their length) can vary, depending on the topic."

That is a fairly capacious guideline statement, one that, in my reading, does not endorse any rule about restricting individuals to one post per day.  I don't know if this guideline needs revision or not.  I like the simplicity and the openness.

Is there a more detailed statement about Milton-L community-use best practices?  The current guidelines for the listserv strike me as what I would call "open-access, fair-use" guidelines.

Kevin . . . what are your thoughts on all of this?

Best wishes,
Scott

///

W. Scott Howard