[Milton-L] "Mirton"

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Dec 30 11:14:46 EST 2008

How is attendance?

Because my former university had to swallow a 15% buget cut from the state, only those interviewing job candidates could get travel money - and we sent fewer of those than usual. We were lucky to have begun the hiring process before these cuts came. There will be no hiring next fall, probably.

There are no raises, there is no travel money for research or paper presentations, and 3 former colleagues who had earned time off for research were told that the money [to cover their classes] was frozen, but they would get their leaves 'in the future.'

Some deprtments and schools have their own private foundations, so they may be able to travel as usual - the School of Business, for example.

Anyhow - evidence of the economic flop at MLA?

Enjoy and safe travel.
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU, ret.
JMU Safe Zones supporter