[Milton-L] "Mirton"

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Tue Dec 30 09:17:29 EST 2008

I was at Starbuck's at the MLA hotel yesterday, and since both my first and last names are hard for some people to pronounce (juh-MEE-luh + Lares like cares, if anyone wants to know), I have started giving out my name in restaurants and coffee lines as "Milton."  With absolutely no disrespect to anyone Asian, I want to note my interested surprise to see that the barrista wrote the name down on my cup as "Mirton."  I had known that the liquids (l, r) are differently pronounced between Asian and Western languages, but it had not occurred to me that they would be differently heard as well.

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The U. of So. Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037