[Milton-L] one post a day?

jonnyangel junkopardner at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 00:55:25 EST 2008

I wholeheartedly agree with Christina. I've been on the internet before it
had a face and the delete button has always been handy, as is the
click/shift-key/click to select blocks of email and delete them all with one
stroke. Everyone also has the digest option, as opposed to receiving every
post individually (for those so inclined).

When you're talking via email, BB's, etc. sometimes it turns into a
conversation, and when it does, suggesting "one" post a day is bit like me
asking you how your day was over drinks, you responding, and then me getting
up and paying the tab and meeting you the next day and following up because
we're only allowed to say one thing a day.

I'm all for the one post a day idea, but there are 365 days in a year. That
is 365 posts per person, per day. But this isn't a high traffic list, and
many people on this list (including me) only have certain things to talk
about all at once - not one thing per day. But it averages out.

I think the idea of the one post per day came about not too long after my
arrival, as things can sometimes get heated in conversation. So maybe a
better idea is if a conversation gets heated, then it's one post per day for
those involved, but if it's civil - fire away.

Conversation is good, arguing is good (as long as it doesn't get too
emotional) and you can learn a lot.

I love and respect everyone on this list for no other reason than if you
love Milton, then you're a friend of mine. I feel a passion for Milton that
makes my core body temperature rise when I read him or speak of him.

I'm in contemporary poetry classes/workshops and I'm known as "that Milton
guy", probably because he's been dead and buried for centuries and has no
place in contemporary poetry. But there isn't a day that passes in a
workshop that I don't find a way to bring him into a contemporary poetry
conversation.

Contemporary is fleeting, I tell them - there was a time when Milton was a
contemporary poet, and there will be a time when what we're reading/writing
hot from the free Areopagitic presses right now that will lose its place in
contemporary poetic conversation down the road.

And I'm in contemporary awe of that contemporary poet from the 17th century,
who still delivers every time my eyes move across the horizontal lines of
what he had to say.

Cheers everyone, and I wish all the best to each and every one of you in the
New Year that awaits all of us contemporaries.

-J