[Milton-L] Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night...

jonnyangel junkopardner at comcast.net
Sat Dec 27 16:15:57 EST 2008

Well said Jim.

My favorite contemporary poet, Billy Collins, has been an English Professor
at Lehman College for over 30 years. He also was U.S. Poet Laureate for two
terms. This coming semester I will have the privilege of taking a poetry
class taught by a very well respected poet with many published books of
poetry and a Yale Younger award. It is indeed a money issue, and many great
artists (poets, painters, musicians etc) still have to keep a day job.

But in my previous post I was talking about _academic_ writing in reference
to scholars vs. artists, and maybe I should have made that clearer (or just
clear).

As for Milton and PL, I think the syntax is, in part, why it has held up for
centuries - it just adds a timelessness to it. And Milton's command of
language, poetic craft (similes, assonance, internal rhyming etc), pacing,
narrative, character...is just jaw dropping (hey, and I've read Homer).

Maybe I'm biased with Milton (well, ok, I am) but that's ok. Maybe I think
Milton was a greater writer than, say, Homer (if such a man actually existed
and wrote Odyssey and Iliad all by himself) and it's just my own subjective
bias talking.

But whatever the case may be, I don't see _how_ one could argue that there
has been any writer _better_ than Milton (using, of course, objective
criteria such as language, craft, etc).

Anyway, thanks for your post, and I did read your longish post also (as I do
with all of your posts).

Peace Shalom,