[Milton-L] Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night...

jonnyangel junkopardner at comcast.net
Sat Dec 27 03:50:38 EST 2008

On 12/27/08 1:48 AM, "Nancy Charlton" <pastorale55 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I hesitate to get into this, but I a statement in Jim's most recent post seems
> to me it should have been set forth at the beginning:  "What are the standards
> of greatness here?"
>
> To go back to  the beginning of this thread a couple of days ago, jonnyangel
> posted his statement "No greater writer has ever lived," and then posted
> Milton's Hymn in the Morning of Christ's Nativity" as if in support of the
> statement, with no further argument were needed. My first impression was that
> jonny was not arguing with a scholarly hat on his head, but rather was
> speaking as one two whom Milton's poetry had meant a great deal, whose life
> was changed and mind, soul, and spirit turned around by the poetry, by its
> beauty, its vigor, its truth. That for him (Jonnyangel) there has been no
> greater poet in his experience. If this is the case, arguments about
> compositional structure, criteria for "greatness," and the rest are nugatory.
>
> If what I speculate is true, then I will go out further on the limb and
> speculate that Jon is not the only person on whom Milton has power to touch
> our senses so.

Thanks Nancy. I appreciate your post, because you got it.

I don't have a scholarly hat on my head, and when I see others wearing one I
want to knock it off. Scholars aren't artists. There are many scholars
(including Milton) that were also artists, but it's a one way street that
way; he was an artist first and foremost. Scholars make their living picking
the bones of artists, NOT the other way around.

I guess this list grates a little sometimes because it's _all_ academia,
sucking like leeches on the teets of artists that actually had something
creative to say.

Thanks for the post Nancy.

Shalom,