[Milton-L] Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night...

Nancy Charlton pastorale55 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 27 01:48:31 EST 2008

I hesitate to get into this, but I a statement in Jim's most recent post seems to me it should have been set forth at the beginning:  "What are the standards of greatness here?"

To go back to  the beginning of this thread a couple of days ago, jonnyangel posted his statement "No greater writer has ever lived," and then posted Milton's Hymn in the Morning of Christ's Nativity" as if in support of the statement, with no further argument were needed. My first impression was that jonny was not arguing with a scholarly hat on his head, but rather was speaking as one two whom Milton's poetry had meant a great deal, whose life was changed and mind, soul, and spirit turned around by the poetry, by its beauty, its vigor, its truth. That for him (Jonnyangel) there has been no greater poet in his experience. If this is the case, arguments about compositional structure, criteria for "greatness," and the rest are nugatory.

If what I speculate is true, then I will go out further on the limb and speculate that Jon is not the only person on whom Milton has power to touch our senses so.

Nancy Charlton
still snowed in, but it's melting fast.

 Nancy Charlton

http://groups.google.com/group/paradiselostdaily