[Milton-L] Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 26 09:48:25 EST 2008

jonnyangel wrote:

> Who's better Carol? Who?

Stock market rankings at this level of excellence are absurd, but we can
speak of rough equals without too much foolishness.

Homer (the Iliad Poet) still is the only writer in a class by himself,
mostly for the reason Johnson gave: he was the first. Then we have the
rest. But sticking just to English, there was of course that boy from
Stratford. And then there are Milton's peers: Austen, Wordsworth,
Dickens, James, Pound. Yeats, perhaps Joyce & Beckett.

Beyond English. RAbelais? Stendahl? Tolstoy? There's that funny
Florentine. Plato. (If we are going to talk in such silly superlatives
we should look more broadly at "letters," not merely poetry or fiction.)
Rousseau? Hegel? Marx? Really, it's a rich world out there. Why narrow
it with yatter of "The Best"? And of course my list is distressingly
euro-centric.

Carrol