[Milton-L] Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night...

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 04:16:27 EST 2008

Johnny, Carrol is right.

Although we all like Milton -- and we like him a lot, or we wouldn't be here -- at least two considerations militate against confidence in your claim that Milton is the greatest writer who ever lived:

1. You haven't read every writer who ever lived.

2. You can't provide universally accepted criteria for literary greatness.

Your claim is therefore extravagant. Carrol's disagreement, incidentally, was uncharacteristically gentle -- as you may have noticed, given that you've now been here long enough to have observed Carrol's often-brusque criticisms -- so perhaps discretion would now be the better part of valor.

Jeffery Hodges