[Milton-L] Take two . . . three

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 23:57:48 EST 2008

Since we're posting other endings to the beginning, here's a poem in dialogue with A.D. Hope's poem.

Jeffery Hodges

Paradise Hoped

In minus four-oh-oh-and-four A.D.
Declinéd Man to eat with gracious Eve,
So beateth hope eternal to deceive
The Man for not partaking of that tree
>From pride that goeth ever toward a fall
That cometh not in manly Paradise:
Adam and Eve were but a pair of dice
That came up snake eyes, even to appall.

Odd then that Eve receive a help to meet
Her all forlorn upon the dusty ground,
While Adam, wedded not to other Eve,
Forever hopeless hope-filled breast to beat
In loving dirge to love with mournful sound:
"Woman," whose woe he clove but could not cleave.