[Milton-L] Marathon Performance of Paradise Lost a Success!!

Susan Allison jbase484 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 13:34:17 EST 2008

The performance began on Saturday morning and ended Sunday evening.
Mr. Basinger, who by the way is now 74 years old, delivered Paradise
Lost as I think Milton intended it, as theater. Without wavering from
the language of the text --except for a few missed words and one
skipped passage, John Basinger performed as if he were channelling
John Milton. The rhythms and music of the language, the portrayal of
each character, the articulation of hidden meaning through
performance,  the  research and study, the passion expressed
physically, the humor at times and the insights into the text all
truly combine to heighten the experience of Paradise Lost.  A few die
hards made it through the entire performance and two of them had seen
the first marathon in 2001.

The Milton List and its members have been very supportive and I would
like to thank everyone who has purchased DVDs and/or sent notes and
in a manner befitting the Poet's stature at Wesleyan University and
The Buttonwood Tree. I just hope that on his 500th birthday there
will be celebration far and wide, possibly in amphitheaters created
especially for poetry!

Thank you and Happy Holidays,
Susan Allison