[Milton-L] soliciting of reviews

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 17:59:16 EST 2008

I didn't mean to imply, Jim, that scholarly reviewers should be held to the
same standard as Plato's philosopher king -- unripe until 60 -- just that
they ought to be themselves published scholars in a relevant field.  This is
not elitism, Jameela, or if it is it's good elitism, the same kind that's
behind reviewing in the first place or behind the principles of selection
exercised by publishers of articles and books.  The process of peer review
does not actually involve "peers," exactly.  As a junior scholar, my first
book proposal was reviewed not by other junior scholars, without books, but
by "senior" (i.e., "credentialled" not "aged") ones, and surely none of us
would have it otherwise.  The same goes for articles submitted to journals,
and also for reviews for promotion and tenure.  It seems silly to suggest
that there is something wrong about have experts review those who are just
getting into a field.  Of course, sometimes this process doesn't work as
well as it ought to, perhaps because of the limitations of a few of those
experts, but as you say, the process probably works as well as it can, given
the inevitable involvement of fallible humans.

Shifting gears somewhat, I think that behind your concern lies another
"problem" with scholarly reviews, that we're of mixed minds about what
they're actually for.  Sometimes they seem almost an extension of
publisher's PR machines; they serve to advertise books and provide somewhat
detailed blurbs and summaries that will help readers who haven't the time to
read everything and want to know which books they should really read and
which they should just know about.  On the other hand, reviews can also
serve as the means by which research is evaluated by the scholarly
community, or at least the means by which such evaluations are
disseminated.  But furthermore, especially for junior scholars, reviews are
also inevitably part of the process by which we are evaluation, not just by
our peers but by our employers.  This is not something to take lightly.  A
damning review could not only establish a poor scholarly reputation, it
could result in, or at least contribute to, a denial of tenure.  When I was
in my last year of graduate school, a senior scholar at a grad student
professional development sessions advised us strongly against reviewing.
You can make enemies, he said, that could do you real harm later in life,
and all for a line on your cv that won't matter much anyway (do promotion
and tenure committees really care about reviews? not mine).  Since then,
I've heard many stories from all sorts of colleagues about enemies they made
in just this way.  I don't think reviews should be where grad students cut
their scholarly teeth.  It doesn't do them much good, it could do them real
harm, and it doesn't do the rest of us much good to have our scholarship
reviewed by our students.

Hannibal

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English