[Milton-L] On Hopkins, Milton and Herbert

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Sat Dec 13 16:31:05 EST 2008

Thank you Mitchell Harris for this brief account of Hopkins' reverence for Milton.  I didn't know he was thinking of a book on Milton's prosody and it would have been delightful to read, I'm sure, had he managed it.  I wonder if anyone has fleshed out the notion that "The Wreck of the Deutschland" is a tragedy on the lines of S.A.?  It's an interesting notion and might well enhance our reading of both poems. The mention of Herbert reminds me of one of my favorite memories.  I was lucky enough to have heard Denise Levertov read from "Evening Train" prior to its publication.  At the Q. & A. session held the next day, I asked her what poets she read simply for pleasure.  I've forgotten the second part of her answer, but the first words out of her mouth were "Of course, Herbert..."  If you know Denise's work, especially the later books, you'll nod your head and say, "Of course!"

Jim Watt