[Milton-L] A Milton reference

Mitchell M. Harris mitchell.harris at augie.edu
Sat Dec 13 16:13:36 EST 2008

Nancy-

Hopkins loved Milton and held him in the same esteem as he held George
Herbert. And his letters to Dixon and Robert Bridges reveal how
indebted his sense of prosody was to Milton. In fact, Hopkins argues
that Milton invents "sprung rhythm" in Paradise Regained and then
masters it in Samson Agonistes. Unfortunately, he died before he could
write extensively on Milton's prosody (he was thinking of writing a
book on the topic). Bridges tries to maintain the spirit of Hopkins in
his book on Milton's prosody, but it is clearly evident from Bridges'
book that he didn't fully understand what Hopkins was doing in his own
poetry, let alone his scansion of Milton's verse. Also, sadly, Hopkins
didn't live to see Masson's biography, which he was eagerly
anticipating. If I remember correctly, Hopkins saw his "Wreck of the
Deutschland" as his Samson.

Best,
	Mitch

Mitchell M. Harris
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Augustana College
2001 S. Summit Ave.
Sioux Falls, SD 57197
(605) 274-4699
mitchell.harris at augie.edu

"Alack, when once our grace we have forgot,
Nothing goes right . . ."
				   - William Shakespeare