[Milton-L] A Milton reference

Nancy Charlton pastorale55 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 16:01:08 EST 2008

NYTimes review of Paul Mariani's new biography of Gerard Manley Hopkins:

As Paul Mariani points out in “Gerard Manley Hopkins,” his generous new
biography, the “unpromising beginnings” of Hopkins’s prosodic
revolution were in a Jesuit classroom in London, where as a teacher of
rhetoric he tried to impart something of his enthusiasm for the later
rhythms of Milton and the alliterative effects of the Anglo-Saxons.

I can't think of two poets more unlike--or two I like more.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/books/review/Bailey-t.html?8bu&emc=bu

Nancy Charlton

http://groups.google.com/group/paradiselostdaily

. . . Till old experience do attain

To something like prophetic strain.  (Il Penseroso)