[Milton-L] Book Reviewer sought: _Is Milton Better thanShakespeare_?

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Sat Dec 13 11:28:23 EST 2008

Dear Scholars,
On my part I have to thank Scott Howard's open invitation to review the book
because it is based on our democratic way of life:  Let the best reviewer
win.  There's no question that the reviewer should have the credentials and
the expertise--and possess some objectivity ( as much as possible) by
sticking to the questions that James Rovira suggested. But those cases of
reviewers "savaging" an author, or authors jumping from tall buildings, or
reviewers being crestfallen because their reviews are not accepted do
nothing except to derail the argument.  It is hard to think that even
scholarship can be politicized so much.  I think Professor Howard's open
invitation would allow scholars who have not had much opportunity to publish
much to get into the stream of Milton scholarship.  Of course, we all know
that it would be up to the editor to make the choice of what's to be
published.  What is the alternative?  Scholars and selected reviewers
writing and editing to each other endlessly, creating some kind of an "inner
ring" (C.S. Lewis' term)??
Best,
Salwa Khoddam
Oklahoma City University