[Milton-L] soliciting of reviews

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Fri Dec 12 18:02:26 EST 2008

dear Carrol Cox:

I remember O.B. Hardison, jr. remarking once that the proportion of literary
criticism worth reading to the amount published was less than one in ten --
and this was for articles as well as 'books.'  But, he added, don't despair, it's
about the same for murder mysteries and histories.  When I asked him how I
would be able to tell, not being an expert in the Seventeenth Century, he said
I didn't need to be an expert in murder to tell which were the good mysteries,
did I?

Jim Watt