[Milton-L] Book Reviewer sought: _Is Milton Better than Shakespeare_?

Scott Howard showard at du.edu
Thu Dec 11 15:44:11 EST 2008

Dear Hannibal and All,

I welcome this and other questions or replies/comments.

ALL submissions to Appositions, including solicited essays and/or book reviews, are evaluated via double-blind peer-review,

http://appositions.blogspot.com/

For articles & reviews published in Volume One, go to 2008, then May.  Use the triangles (on the left) to open & close the TOC; click individual titles and scroll-down.  The articles and reviews we have published so far speak for themselves.

I have found that procedures (administrative, PR, evaluation and editing) for book reviews vary considerably from one journal to the next.  Those practices, however, are always part of a given journal's working-context of building relationships among researchers & writers, editors & publishers, readers & educators, students and others in the field.  And, as the field changes, those relationships change too.  Why should we be surprised to discover so much variation in those procedures?  No two journals are identical.  Add to the mix changes in technology, library budgets/purchasing, and global-corporate ownership of publishing houses and information systems . . . and then those practices become even more dynamic!

Since we are producing a new journal (fully electronic, peer-reviewed, independent, and open-access) we are also in the process of looking at new ways to build those relationships while also ensuring quality control.

While we're on this topic, it would be very interesting to receive (for our editorial review process) either conference proposals (for our February e-conference) or article submissions (for Volume Two of the journal) addressing current editing & production practices vis-a-vis the changing nature of the publishing industry in the field of Milton studies, or more broadly in Renaissance / Early Modern Literature & Culture.

And . . . (last bit) since you've noted that roundtable on scholarly reviewing at last year's RSA, I'll close in mentioning that I'll be speaking at the 2009 RSA (Los Angeles) on e-journals in the field, such as EMLS, Literature Compass, and others.  Maybe I'll see you there?

Best,
Scott

///