[Milton-L] Book Reviewer sought: _Is Milton Better than Shakespeare_?

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 14:36:38 EST 2008

Dear Scott, and other Miltonists,

No doubt this will stir up some dust, but may I raise a question about
scholarly reviewing?  Perhaps some of you attended the interesting
roundtable on scholarly reviewing at last year's RSA, at which many
practical and ethical issues were discussed.  One that occurs to me in this
context, especially since I am a Book Review Editor myself, is whether it is
a good idea to make an open call for reviewers for a particular book.  One
specific problem I see is that such a call might attract someone with a
particular axe to grind, perhaps even a personal one (whatever a "personal
axe" is!), of which the review editor may not be aware.  I don't mean to
pick on Scott either, since some journals openly list "books for review,"
and the Sixteenth Century Journal actually had a table of such books at this
year's SCSC, from which any passing scholar might make a selection.

Thoughts?

Hannibal

On 12/11/08, Scott Howard <showard at du.edu> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We are looking for someone to review Nigel Smith's _Is Milton Better than
> Shakespeare?_ for Volume Two of APPOSITIONS: Studies in Renaissance / Early
> Modern Literature & Culture, which will be published in May, 2009.
>
> If you are interested, please be in touch soon.
>
> Appositions is an electronic, peer-reviewed, international journal for
> studies in Renaissance/early modern literature and culture.  ISSN
> forthcoming.
>
> Yours,
> Scott Howard
>
> ///