[Milton-L] Re: plaque

Michael Bauman mbauman at hillsdale.edu
Wed Dec 10 11:22:21 EST 2008

Larry,
Maurice Kelley was a man of medium height and slender build.  When I knew him, he had thinning white hair, with a goatee to match, something he'd worn for many years.  He dressed simply, smoked a pipe, and still talked with an Oklahoma drawl.  He was a scholar all the way to his soul, and loved to find out the truth about things.  He was a man of charm, of generosity, and of subtle, almost cowboy, humor.  Think an elderly Roy Rogers with a PhD.

Maurice faced his lot in life with courage and resolution, staring things right in the face, and not flinching.  He was no friend to nonsense or to trendiness. He'd be the first to admit that a lifetime of studying Milton had made him a better man.

Mike