[Milton-L] Comus: opening 14 lines treated as 4/4/3/3 sonnet format?

Carl Bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Thu Dec 11 02:13:20 EST 2008

I'm looking for treatments of the seeming sonnet-like 4-4-3-3 packaging of content in the opening lines of Comus; any leads?  -Carl

BEfore the starry threshold of Joves Court
My mansion is, where those immortal shapes
Of bright aëreal Spirits live insphear'd
In Regions milde of calm and serene Ayr,

Above the smoak and stirr of this dim spot, [ 5 ]
Which men call Earth, and with low-thoughted care
Confin'd, and pester'd in this pin-fold here,
Strive to keep up a frail, and Feaverish being

Unmindfull of the crown that Vertue gives
After this mortal change, to her true Servants [ 10 ]
Amongst the enthron'd gods on Sainted seats.

Yet som there be that by due steps aspire
To lay their just hands on that Golden Key
That ope's the Palace of Eternity:

BEfore the starry threshold of Joves Court
My mansion is, where those immortal shapes
Of bright aëreal Spirits live insphear'd
In Regions milde of calm and serene Ayr,
Above the smoak and stirr of this dim spot, [ 5 ]
Which men call Earth, and with low-thoughted care
Confin'd, and pester'd in this pin-fold here,
Strive to keep up a frail, and Feaverish being
Unmindfull of the crown that Vertue gives
After this mortal change, to her true Servants [ 10 ]
Amongst the enthron'd gods on Sainted seats.
Yet som there be that by due steps aspire
To lay their just hands on that Golden Key
That ope's the Palace of Eternity:
To such my errand is, and but for such, [ 15 ]
I would not soil these pure Ambrosial weeds,
With the rank vapours of this Sin-worn mould.