[Milton-L] Speaking of Apples (re-sending)...

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 20:35:02 EST 2008

Not that anyone was speaking of apples . . . not recently, anyway.

But we were last summer when I was asking about the forbidden fruit as an apple -- or not an apple --  after one of the scholars on this list pointed out to me that only Satan calls the fruit an apple in Paradise Lost.

As some will recall, I grew interested in this point and followed up the use of the term "apple" -- and was redirected in a most intriguing way by Robert Appelbaum, who suggested that I think about peaches.

I did . . . and eventually wrote a piece that the Milton and Early Modern English Studies Vol. 18, No. 2 (2008) has generously accepted for publication despite the speculative nature of my argument.

The title is "Forbidden Fruit as Impedimental Peach: A Scholarly ‘Pesher’ on Paradise Lost 9.850-852," but the Korean journal in which this article appears might not be readily available outside of Korea, so if anyone on the list is interested in knowing what I found (or imagined), then contact me offline, and I can send an attached copy of my article (a slightly earlier version than went to publication, for I lack that final copy).

Some of those who took part in the Milton List discussion of apples turn up in my article (always in glowing terms, of course), which I mention in case this point whets anyone's appetite for more knowledge about Milton's fruit of knowledge.

Jeffery Hodges