[Milton-L] Re:RE: Uploading Milton's COMMON-PLACE BOOK (Jameela Lares)

Herbert Berkowitz herberq at gci.net
Mon Dec 8 14:42:48 EST 2008

As it happens, I have both the Yale Prose Works Vol I (1970 reprint of 1953 ed) and Ruth Mohl's book, _John Milton and
his commonplace Book_ (Frederick Ungar Pub. Co. Inc. 1969) at hand.  I have quickly perused the footnotes of the
Commonplace Book chapter in the Yale, and found a really helpful note on page 345.  In it, Mohl lists all the pages which
were blank and then tells which ones Viscount Preston wrote notes on.  In her transcription of each page of the
Commonplace Book, Mohl tells which page (numbered by Milton as he set up the book) is being transcribed, what Milton
-- or his amanuensis -- wrote oon that page and, in the footnotes, expands on information about the book Milton was
notating.  She does not include in the transcriptions anything that Preston wrote.  For example, on page 477 (CPW) Mohl
has transcripted pge 198 in the Commonplace Book.  On page 478 (CPW), she skipped to Milton's numbered page 220,
because Milton's prenumbered pages 199 -219 were either blank or had Preston's writing.  She says in her introduction
that Preston's handwriting is easily distinguished from Milton's and also from the recognized amenuenses'.

I had not seen the 1877 printing of the Commonplace Book (excepton the link from Milton-L a day or so ago -- thank you,
John!);  but just now, in looking in the upload for the pages I hve discussed above, I just found anote for Milton's page
199 which says "The whole of p. 199 is in Lord Preston's writing."  Perhaps all of his additions are similarly noted.

That is all I have been able to do this morning (it is still only 10:00 a.m. in Alaska!)  but I have very much enjoyed this
thread.  Since I got my own copy of the 1876 Commonplace Book about five years ago, I have been almost overwhelmed
by all that it means to us.  I recently read that Thomas Jefferson's commonplace book is full of quotes from Milton; he and
others who framed the U. S. Constitution borrowed much from Milton, and for that I am glad.

Kathryn Berkowitz, M.A.   Anchorage, Alaska.