[Milton-L] Fish's eternity = nowhereto go ["mortal taste" /"lethal taste"]

Campbell, W. Gardner Gardner_Campbell at baylor.edu
Wed Dec 3 15:38:57 EST 2008

A great question and one I hope to address soon. Thank you for it. In
the meantime (sorry), a slight expansion of my earlier email (I am
mindful this puts me over the good-citizen quota, so my apologies). I do
not think that "mortal" is the same as "temporal" for Milton. We think
of them that way because, most conspicuously, time is what drives us
toward death. But that's not what happens in Milton time in Paradise.
That's one of the many things that fascinates me about this poem. In
Milton's Paradise, one can love time without being half in love with
easeful death. The midnight is that time when the rose-shower bathes
one's dreams in a wash tinctured with uncanny pleasures and intimations
of immortality--already enjoyed, but experienced anew each moment in a
kind of sequential music of existence. Hodie!

Gardner