[Milton-L] Fish's eternity = nowhere to go ["mortal taste" / "lethal taste"]

Kim Maxwell kmaxwell at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 3 10:48:16 EST 2008

I think Fish is playing with an ambiguity in "eternity."    If it means, as Aristotle took it, to change for all time, then of course there are places to go.  But if it means, as Augustine and Milton in places take it, changelessness, the timeless rather than for all time, then "places to go" becomes unintelligible.  This means that what Fish says is either incorrect or nonsense.

Eve makes a similar mistake around the word "Good."

Kim Maxwell

<< To say that a “mortal taste” brought death into the world is to say something
tautologous; but the tautology is profound when
it reminds us of both the costs and the glories of being mortal. If no mortality, then no human struggles, no narrative, no
story, no aspiration (in eternity there’s
nowhere to go), no “Paradise Lost.”

The quip on eternity caught me up short. Is the
eternity of Milton's PL one where "there's nowhere to
go?"   -Carl