[Milton-L] two small queries

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:47:48 EST 2008

Gah...don't know why I wrote the following as I did.  Read "the speaker" for
"Milton":

Is it possible that the speaker is speaking to himself and all his thoughts
as being brought along by sweet compulsion (hence, the "us")?  So the
speaker as opposed to his thoughts would be "me," but the speaker along with
all his thoughts, once his thoughts have been personified, would be "us."
Since he's speaking of movement in the last quoted line, and since his
thoughts would go along with him wherever he went, speaking of the speaker
and his thoughts as an "us" seems necessary.

So "the speaker" = me, and "the speaker and his thoughts" = us.

Jim R

--
James Rovira
Tiffin University