[Milton-L] two small queries

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Mon Dec 1 16:19:49 EST 2008

Regarding your first question, Adam¹s powerful intellect is able to grasp
things that he has not experienced, for example that he was created by a
³great Maker² or that copulation leads to reproduction.  I suppose it¹s
through what we would call an act of imagination that he understands how the
pleasant work A&E enjoy would become irksome toil if it were accelerated
like Charlie Chaplin¹s assembly line in Modern Times.

Thanks for pointing out the ³us,² which I hadn¹t noticed and for which have
no suggestion beyond what you say. To students it will seem Gollum-ish.

Michael