[Milton-L] Milton Birthday Celebration - Chattanooga

Kemmer Anderson kanderso at mccallie.org
Mon Dec 1 12:08:53 EST 2008

Anderson Goes Milton for 'McCallie After Dark'

12/1/2008
McCallie's unique series of lectures and
workshops, led by veteran members of its faculty,
starts up this school year with an exploration of
literary great John Milton by English teacher R. Kemmer Anderson...

"McCallie After Dark" kicks off its 2008-09
season with a special exploration of John Milton
by English teacher R. Kemmer Anderson, who has
taught on the Ridge for 31 years and who has
spent extensive time and energy researching Milton's life and works.

MILTON TURNS 400
Tuesday, December 9
7:00 p.m.
Brock-Lazenby Room, Dining Hall

 From Mr. Anderson:

On December 9, 2008, we celebrate the 400th
birthday of John Milton. John Milton’s ideas
immigrated to America in the form of books. His
voice shaped the school copybooks of our American
founders. His Tenure of Magistrates and Kings
argued for the execution of a king and later
echoed from the preamble of the Declaration of
Independence. His vision of Eden became the model
for the English garden – a garden later
transplanted to our native soil. Milton’s Satan
caught the imagination of artists when the fiend
meets Adam and Eve in Paradise Lost and Jesus in
Paradise Regained. In our time some scholars
believe Milton’s Samson Agonistes haunts the polemic of a terrorist.

 From Chalmers McIlwaine to George Hazard, John
Milton has shaped McCallie teachers and students
with a rhythm and rhetoric of a sound English
epic. Join us for an evening of poetry, politics,
illustrations, and birthday cake to remember John
Milton, poet and prophet of liberty and free will.

Please join us on the Ridge for what promises to
be a unique and enlightening look at one of
literature's great and lasting figures, a
presentation guaranteed to be quite unlike
anything you are likely to find. As hundreds if
not thousands of alumni can attest, Kemmer "Yogi" Anderson is one-of-a-kind.

<mailto:facdev at mccallie.org?subject=RSVP - MAD -
Anderson, December 9>Please RSVP to Faculty
Development and include the number of people
planning to attend. Light refreshments will be provided.