[Milton-L] Apples

Tony Demarest tonydemarest at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 23 11:31:59 EDT 2008

I live in Bergen County NJ and have several fig trees- courtesy of a friend's father who had emigrated from Sicily to Yonkers, NY in 1932. From there he took a cutting and planted it in NJ- Being Irish, I had no clue how to grow figs, so I followed all his advice: burying when young, shielding in linoleum, covering with a spaghetti pot- all to no avail, Sprouts rotted, but root stock survived. After five years, I put aside the rescue attempts and let it grow on its own terms. What had been a thirty-five foot tree in Yonkers in the '40's, is now several bushes in NJ- all producing quarts of figs. The bonus- no treatment other than annual pruning.
Shame- I do not like figs-  prociutto- well, that's another tale.

Tony