[Milton-L] Apples

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 14:25:46 EDT 2008

Salwa,

I've since come across the point several times, so it seems to be a common observation about Satan's use of the term "apple" for the forbidden fruit. Of course, somebody must have been the first to argue that Satan is diminishing the uniqueness of the fruit in using such a term.

I think that Satan is playing on the ambiguity between "apple" as "fruit in general" and as "pyrus malum" (what we mean today by "apple"), but this observation is not a novel one, and I've ended up writing a short paper on some implications of Robert Appelbaum's suggestion that the 'apple' is a peach.

Appelbaum's peach is probably also an apple of discord.

Jeffery Hodges

P.S. I may be away from my email for a few days as my family and I head off until Thursday for Soraksan Nature Reserve:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Soraksan_Nature_Reserve