[Milton-L] Milton's english

Ross Leasure trleasure at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 10:13:03 EDT 2008

Dear scholars and friends,

Although I was somewhat naive at the time, I took a crack at this
question back in 2002 in an article to be found in _Cithara: Essays in
the Judeo Christian Tradition_ [41:3-17].  My views on the subject
have largely changed since I wrote the piece, but my speculations
regarding the illuminations found in the Junius XI MS may still be of
interest to some.

My regards to all,

Ross Leasure

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Angelica Duran <duran0 at purdue.edu> wrote:
> Dear scholars,
>
> Just some information to pass on from a colleague to whom I mentioned this
> line of discussion:
>
> Archbishop James Ussher owned the manuscript until he left it in the
> possession of Franciscus Junius, a Dutch scholar as well as one of the first
> Anglo-Saxon scholars, who resided in London, England until 1651. Milton and
> Junius more than likely knew each other because they were in the same circle
> of people; however, finding concrete evidence that they were friends is a
> trying task.  Roland Mushat Frye states in his fascinating book Milton's
> Imagery and the Visual Arts: Iconographic Tradition in the Epic Poems:
> "Before Junius published the manuscript in Amsterdam in 1655, Somner had
> seen it and made a transcript of it. At least one foreign visitor is known
> to have been intimate both with Milton and Junius, and it is by no means
> unlikely that Milton knew Junius.  Even if we assume, as some scholars have,
> that Milton  knew Genesis B, we cannot be certain that he saw it early
> enough before his total blindness in 1652 to have been able fully to
> appreciate the illumination" (Frye, 60).
>
> Adios,
>
> Angelica Duran
> Associate Professor
> English and Comparative Literature